Chelation therapy is the name given to the process of introducing substances in the body that chelate and then remove foreign substances such as cadmium, lead, and other heavy metals. While you should not attempt chelation therapy at home ( as it is best done intravenously), you can definitely take some natural herbs that chelate heavy metals from the system. Here are the proven herbs and supplements that chelate:
1. Cilantro or coriander
Cilantro chelation is very popular and it removes heavy metals like aluminum, lead and mercury from the system. In fact, urine tests show increased mercury levels in the urine after consuming coriander soup. You can add a bunch of cilantro/coriander or Chinese Parsley to your green juices. Also sprinkle chopped cilantro on your rice, burritos, salads, soups etc.
2. Garlic chelation
Garlic or Allium sativa has a very high binding capacity to heavy metals like lead, cadmium and mercury. Eat plenty of garlic in raw or roasted form. Also add it to your soups, salads and stir fry recipes.
This herb comes in capsules and liquid form. It has natural chelating properties and is also a heart regulator.
4. Milk thistle (Silymarin)
Another popular herb that binds to heavy toxins and metals is milk thistle. It binds to heavy metals, blood sugar and also cholesterol deposits. Take 230-600 g of silymarin daily. You can also take milk thistle tea or tablets.
Asparagus purifies and strengthens blood and kidney functions. It is diuretic. Additionally, its high folic acid content aids in production of red blood cells.
6. Cayenne pepper and ginger
Cayenne pepper is extremely beneficial for heart patients having clogged blood vessels. When combined with other herbs for chelation, it stimulates blood flow, breaks up clots and prevents strokes and heart attacks. Ginger and pepper together dilate overall blood vessels.
7. Butcher’s broom
This herb improves circulation to the legs.
Astragalus or milk vetch root clears dietary fat, protects immune system function by aiding adrenal function and digestion. It also increases metabolism and stimulates sweating to chelate toxins. Astragalus is especially nutritious for people recovering from disease and provides energy to fight fatigue. Many doctors prescribe it to chemotherapy patients to remove residual toxins.You need at least 250 mg per day.
Chlorella is a blue green alga that binds to mercury when it is in the colon. Combine it with cilantro to remove mercury from tissues and colon.
10. Herbs that strengthen kidney
Dandelion root, Corn silk, Uva Ursi, Parsley, Buchu Leaf, Juniper berry and celery seed all strengthen the kidneys. Take gravel root to throw out kidney stones.
11. Oral chelation supplements
- Lecithin granules are essential for cleaning blood vessel plaque deposits.
- Malic acid supplement is essential as well. All weak acids are good chelators and malic acid, which is found in small amounts on apple skin, is a leading one. It is particularly beneficial for eliminating aluminum.
- Glutathione- This supplement is beneficial for throwing out Cadmium and Mercury.
- MSM-2 tsp per day of MSM will prevent health issues that come with excess toxins in the body. MSM is ideally also obtaine through fresh fruits, vegetables, seafood, meat, chocolate, and tea and coffee.
- DMSO- MSM is a derivative of DMSO or dimethyl sulfoxide. You can rub this on the skin or take internally.
- Magnesium-Very important for aiding chelation. Also take Epsom salt baths which are nothing but magnesium sulfate.
- Vitamin C-Take at least 2000 mg per day to detoxify and cleanse the system. It is particularly beneficial to throw out cadmium.
- Nattokinase- This oral chelation supplement is an enzyme that dissolves blood clots.
- Gingko Biloba- 24% extract of Gingko improve memory issues and circulation of blood to the brain.
- Niacin-Dilates blood vessels to aid circulation.
- Vitamin E and Omega 3- These per se do not chelate but they seem to thin the blood and reduce inflammation.
- EDTA- EDTA or Ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid removes heavy metals from the arterial walls. This is a man-made amino acid. It hides lead, mercury, cadmium and other heavy metals inside it. This way, they are easily thrown out of the body. Oral EDTA is now available for home chelation therapy else you can go for IV chelation with EDTA. Note that IV EDTA is much more effective than oral EDTA pills. Do speak to a doctor before consumption of EDTA for chelation.
12. Drink plenty of water
Drink plenty of water when using these herbs to detoxify. Water also thins the blood and prevents clogged arteries. Avoid carbonated sodas, sugary beverages, caffeine and alcohol. Avoid taking prescription diuretics when chelating.
13. Alternate hot and cold water therapy
Alternating between hot and cold water can remove toxins, alcohol and other impurities through the skin.
Use these 13 herbs, supplements and remedies to detoxify in the comforts of your home.