We have two types of veins in the body, the deep rooted ones and the superficial ones. Sometimes, the superficial veins get knotted and visible causing great deal of pain and discomfort in the process. Aging, excess weight, pregnancy, bleeding, weak pancreas and poor circulation are some of the factors that lead to such varicose veins and spider veins. Today, we will study effective home remedies and natural or alternative cures to remove varicose or spider veins from the legs.
1. Exercise correctly
Exercising is very important home remedy for removing spider veins from the legs. However, you must also focus on exercising correctly. Yoga, swimming and walking are recommended exercises which can ease the pressure on the veins’ walls and also get the blood flowing properly. Make sure you avoid steam, sauna and excess heat which can aggravate the pressure on the veins. Avoid exercises like skiing, karate, football, running, weightlifting and tennis.
2. Maintain healthy body weight
Your veins bear the pressure caused by excess weight which causes varicosity and knotted look. So, eat healthy, cut carbs, focus on lean proteins and exercise everyday to prevent this pressure. Also, as we age, the focus should be on reducing total calorie intake. Choose your foods wisely and practice portion control.
3. Put away tight clothes
Skinny jeans, tight leggings and pants can all aggravate varicose veins. You must also avoid tight underwear which puts pressure on the groin area and impedes circulation.
4. Keep legs elevated
Keeping legs elevated when sleeping can get the blood flowing towards the heart. This can prevent varicose veins since the blood does not pool in the thinned down veins. Pregnant women must especially use this home remedy to get rid of varicose veins in the legs. Keep a couple of pillows under the legs to reverse the flow of blood. This natural remedy can ease pain and inflammation which accompany spider veins. You can also elevate the entire foot of the bed where possible.
Here are a few things every patient with this condition must avoid:
- Prolonged standing
- Taking oral contraceptives
- Hot showers and saunas
- Crossing your legs when sitting; instead, elevate them whenever possible.
- Excess alcohol.
All these tend to build up pressure on the veins and even impact blood circulation.
6. Wear proper shoes
Shoes can make all the difference to the varicose veins. Avoid high heels and wear only low heels or flats which tone calf muscles and enhance circulation.
7. Wear compression garments
Doctors recommend compression stockings which are scientifically proven to put helpful pressure on the veins, preventing water retention and reducing swelling. These garments force the blood to flow along its natural course despite damage to the veins. Make sure you check your arterial pressure and get the go ahead from your doctor before using compression stockings for varicose veins.
8. Cold showers
Avoid hot showers which restrict blood supply and aggravate pressure on the veins. Cold showers are proven to increase blood circulation and reduce arterial pressure. Always start slow when using this home remedy for spider veins. You can even alternate between cold and hot showers.
9. Natural supplements for varicose veins
There are many natural supplements useful for fighting this ailment:
- Pine bark-Pine bark contains bioflavonoids called OPCs (oligomeric proanthocyanidin complexes). These improve the collagen production and help in controlling inflammation. OPCs have been used extensively for fighting hemorrhoids, broken capillaries and varicose veins.
- Diosmin– This is an extract also rich in bioflavonoids and is taken from the rinds of citrusy fruits. In Europe, this supplement has been recommended by physicians since nearly 3 decades to fight inflammation and varicose veins.
- Grapeseed extracts– Grapes are rich in flavonoids and antioxidants that strengthen capillaries and veins.
- Horsechestnut extracts– This is another natural supplement recommended in Europe for fighting venous insufficiency. Horse chestnut strengthens the veins and relieves pain and discomfort.
- Butcher’s broom-Helps with pain, fatigue and inflammation of varicose veins and spider veins.
- Vitamin E– repairs tissue and promotes collagen repair.
- Linseed oil, Tyrosine and Echinacea– All these repair wrinkles and also fight broken capillaries, varicose veins and hemorrhoids.
- Nettle tea– Nettle tea is especially recommended in pregnancy for fighting varicose veins.
10. Eat a diet rich in antioxidants and fiber
Antioxidants improve blood circulation and relieve pain caused by varicose or spider veins. Look for foods rich in Rutin-a flavonoid that is found in apples, buckwheat, apricots, grapes and berries. Also eat a low-salt diet since salt retains water and increases edema. Fiber-rich diet can prevent constipation which tends to put pressure on the venous system. Do eat plenty of whole grains, fruits and vegetables, bran and cereals.
11. Wear a sunscreen
When exposing yourself to the sun, make sure you cover up and wear a sunscreen as sun can cause circulatory problems and aggravate venous pressure.
12. Drink apple cider vinegar
Take 2 tablespoons of organic apple cider vinegar every day. Varicose veins natural treatment apple cider vinegar helps reduce edema and eases pressure on the veins.
Try these 12 all natural home remedies and get rid of varicose veins today.