The word Plantar means the sole of the foot. Plantar Fascia is the important structure that supports the arch of the feet. Nearly 1 in 10 people will suffer from Plantar Fasciitis pain at some point in their lives and this can be highly debilitating and can impact their quality of life. We have already covered home remedies for heel pain in another article. The main difference between Plantar Fasciitis and heel pain is that the latter may be caused due to heel spurs. Plantar Fasciitis, on the other hand, is the inflammation of the band of connective tissues running from the heel bone to the front of the feet. Today we will study some home remedies to help you deal with Plantar Fasciitis pain and also, in some cases, get rid of it permanently.
Before moving on to the fastest ways to heal Plantar Fasciitis, let us consider its causes.
Causes of Plantar Fasciitis pain
- Improper shoes –Thin soled, loose fitting or high heeled shoes can all cause heel pain.
- Sports– Improper warm up and incorrect foot mechanics are the common causes of Plantar Fasciitis pain as well as sports related injuries.
- Age, heredity also play a role.
- Weight– Obesity can put stress on the feet and cause inflammation of the tendons.
- Certain diseases like diabetes and arthritis can also lead to Plantar Fasciitis pain.
How to get rid of Plantar Fasciitis permanently?
1. Use silicone heels and cushioning
Changing your shoes or using special foot orthotics and silicone cushioning can protect the heel from pain and prevent further trauma. This is always the first line of treatment for Plantar Fasciitis pain and most doctors take this approach. OTC orthotics support the arch of the feet and most patients see good results with them. If not, one may have to visit a podiatrist to have a pair custom-designed.
2. Stretching and plantar fasciitis treatment exercises
Stretches help the fascia (tendons) heal at their natural length. You must stretch 3 times a day and each stretching session must last for 10 minutes at least. Here are a few simple Fascia stretching exercises:
- Stand with ball of foot on stairs and reach for the bottom stair with the heel. You should feel the stretch along the arch of the foot.
- Sit on the yoga mat or floor and loop a towel around the balls of the feet. Curl the toes towards your body and keep your knees straight on the ground. Hold the stretch for 30 seconds and repeat this 3 times a day.
- Roll a tennis ball back and forth under each foot for few minutes. The ball massages the feet and loosens the fascia. You can also roll a bottle of ice cold water-the cold numbs the pain and provides instant relief from discomfort.
Stretching exercises can also be used to prevent Plantar Fasciitis pain in athletes and sportspersons.
3. Homeopathic remedies for Plantar Fasciitis pain
Conventional treatment for this type of inflammation is pain relief medicines like Ibuprofen. However, long term use of these drugs is harmful. So try gentler homeopathic remedies. While you must consult a homeopath, the following remedies can also help:
- Calc fluor and Calc phos-6x or 12 X potency. Take 4 pellets 3 times a day. These remedies can actually dissolve the bone spurs.
- Calcium Absorption® by Bioforce- This remedy aids in calcium absorption and can provide some relief. Recommended dose is 10 drops 3 times a day.
4. Plantar Fasciitis treatment massage and Acupressure
Strong massage or acupressure therapy once or twice weekly is known to provide pain relief from this condition. You can use any essential oils for the massage or rub a few drops of Grapefruit seed extracts (GSE) on the feet. Some of the best essential oils for plantar fasciitis pain relief are Frankincense, Lemongrass and Peppermint oils. Mix them up with Grapeseed oil and massage the feet. This simple remedy can actually cure plantar fasciitis in a week.
5. Supplements for inflammation relief
Following supplements can help relieve pain caused by heel spur and Plantar Fasciitis:
- Betaine hydrochloride– (Do not take if you have a history of ulcers). This is needed for calcium absorption.
- Calcium and Magnesium– 1500 mg and 750 mg daily. Proper balance of these minerals helps prevent abnormal calcium deposition.
- Proteolytic enzymes– These help absorb nutrients and also prevent inflammation and irritation.
- Vitamin C with bio flavonoids– take 2000-4000 mg daily. This antioxidant prevents inflammation and is particularly needed for strengthening collagen and connective tissues. Take 100 mg Bioflavonoids daily.
- MSM-MethylsulfonylMethane- Very effective for pain relief.
- Vitamin B complex and extra vitamin B6 and B12- Take up to 50-100 mg of each major B vitamin. All B vitamins work synergistically to produce hydrochloric acid and prevent bone spurs by aiding proper calcium absorption.
- Cod liver oil-Take cod liver oil (2 tsp mixed with milk or water) to fight inflammation. Patients taking blood thinners should talk to their doctor before using this remedy.
Athletes with mild cases of Plantar Fasciitis pain must avoid activity which aggravates it. Failure to do so can worsen the injury and can even cause permanent damage. As far as possible avoid putting stress of the feet. If you want to restart sports activity once your pain is better, ease into it slowly. Avoid taking things lightly as messing around with plantar fasciitis pain can actually put you out of the game longer.
7. Use night splints
Night splints for plantar fasciitis are readily available but you can also get a prescription from your doctor as there are many varieties available in it. Wear the splint at night for preventing pain in the morning.
8. Ice cubes
For severe pain, dip your aching foot in a buck of ice cold water or rub a few ice cubes on the painful area. This is the fastest way to heal plantar fasciitis pain.
9. Borax foot soak
Add a cup of Borax powder to half a buck of warm water and soak the feet in it. Do this daily to stop pain and inflammation.
10. Apple cider vinegar and cayenne pepper
If you wake up with heel and foot pain daily, then start drinking organic apple cider vinegar with ‘mother’ in it to fight inflammation. Add a dash of cayenne pepper to the vinegar as both cayenne pepper and vinegar are anti-inflammatory in nature and heal the pain from inside out. Follow this remedy daily for 3 weeks to cure Plantar Fasciitis pain permanently.
11. Take food grade DE powder
Diatomaceous Earth powder can fight inflammation and you can take a few teaspoons of it with water to stop pain and irritation. Use this remedy cautiously. Also follow a healthy diet consisting of alkaline foods to fight inflammation.
12. Eat a gluten free diet
Changing your diet to a gluten-free one can show good results. You must eat lean meat, fruits, and vegetables and avoid refined grains. Paleo diet is also known to show good results.
Try these 12 remedies to get rid of plantar fasciitis permanently.