The hair of the eyebrows protects our eyes from moisture and dust and also gives a definite shape to the eyes. Sometimes, people start losing hair in the brows owing to underlying medical conditions like alopecia. Sparse eyebrows can also result from over-tweezing. Let us study some easy ways to grow eyebrows back.
1. Treat underlying medical conditions
Many factors can cause sparse brows:
- Alopecia– Alopecia causes severe hair fall resulting in loss of hair all over the body. The disease can have several conditions and is primarily believed to be an autoimmune disorder where the immune system attacks itself. Treatment usually involves platelet rich plasma injections, laser hair stimulation etc.
- Trichotillomania– This is a psychological disorder that causes the sufferer to pull out hair from the eyebrows, eyelashes and scalp. It requires psychotherapy and in extreme cases, medication.
- Dandruff– Dandruff not only affects the scalp; it can also impact the eyebrows and eyelashes. In order to prevent hair loss in the brow region, ensure there is not dandruff. Use antidandruff shampoo to clean the brows. Oiling the brows with coconut oil can also help.
- Nutritional deficiencies– Deficiency of certain vitamins and minerals can sometimes result in sparse eyebrows. Treating these deficiencies can help grow the lost eyebrows back fast. For example a deficiency in Vitamin B12 can lead to hair loss. Speak to your doctor about this issue. If needed, get a blood test to find out the exact cause of eyebrow loss and hair fall.
2. Stop over plucking the brows
Tweezing and over plucking eyebrows can result in sparse brows. Avoid threading the brows for several weeks (or months) to let the hair grow back. You can massage warm coconut or olive oil in the brows to facilitate faster growth.
3. Use essential oils
Certain essential oils help encourage faster growth of eyebrows. These include Lavender, Chamomile, Rosemary, Thyme, Tea tree and Cedarwood oils. Dilute the oil of your choice with a few drops of warm coconut, olive, jojoba or sweet almond oils. Massage the warm blend on your eyebrows. Use this remedy each night to grow the eyebrows faster.
4. Treat hair loss with Castor oil
Jamaican black Castor oil is one of the best remedies for growing thicker eyebrows. Men and women can both use this castor oil to grow their eyebrows back. Castor oil not only encourages hair growth; it also tames unruly eyebrow hairs in men. The oil works by coating the hair and protecting it from dust and pollution. Castor oil also blocks DHT hormone which causes hair fall. Apply a thin layer of castor oil on the brows nightly using clean fingertips or a sterile Q tip. Use sparingly to avoid getting the oil in the eyes. Be patient while using this remedy; it can take up to 8 weeks to see results.
5. Use almond oil
Who can deny the benefits of almonds? They are the powerhouse of proteins and vitamin E and you can take the oil internally and also apply topically to grow eyebrows faster. Always test the oil on small surface of the skin to ensure you are not allergic to it. Almond oil is rich in vitamins E, D and healthy fats as well as in minerals like calcium and magnesium. Massage the oil into the brows to grow them faster. Leave it on overnight. You can take the oil internally by mixing it with milk.
6. Take biotin supplement
Biotin is also known as Vitamin H or Vitamin B7. It is an essential B vitamin, the deficiency of which can result in hair fall. In order to grow eyebrows back faster, take biotin supplements. Avoid eating raw egg whites as they cause depletion of Biotin. Recommended intake for Biotin is 30 mcg per day for adults. Foods rich in Biotin include nutritional yeast, seeds, liver, cooked egg yolk, nuts etc.
7. Treat hair loss with Borax
Borax is a great remedy for hair loss. It treats dandruff and also eliminates mites from the skin and brows that can cause hair loss. Wash the eyebrows using a solution of borax and water in equal parts. Use this method regularly to get thicker eyebrows. You can also drink Borax solution with water to treat hair fall from inside out.
8. Darken brows with sage tea and olive oil
This is an ancient European recipe used to darken light colored eyebrows and it can help make eyebrows thicker. Brew a cup of strong sage tea and mix a few drops of it with a teaspoon of olive oil. Massage this blend into the eyebrows and let it remain overnight. This is a safe eyebrow darkener which also encourages hair growth.
9. Use apple cider vinegar
This is a wonderful hair loss remedy that has helped hundreds of thousands of people grow back lost hair. You need to use this remedy in two ways:
- Topically– Make a toner with equal parts of raw Apple cider vinegar and water. Dab it on the lashes and other parts of the face to prevent acne, dandruff etc.
- Orally– Before meals, drink a glass of warm water mixed with a few teaspoons of unfiltered apple cider vinegar. This helps increase alkalinity, reduces inflammation, detoxifies the liver and improves overall health.
10. Stop consuming processed foods
Live by this simple rule: if a food item comes from a packet-avoid it! Cut down consumption of sugar, coffee, alcohol, refined flours etc. Start eating fresh organic fruits and vegetables, nuts and seeds. Consult a nutritionist to guide you to a good nutritional plan.
Exercise will not fill up your sparse eyebrows but it can help eliminate stress and also throw out toxins from the body. Aim to exercise for at least 30 minutes per day. Soon your brows will fill back.
12. Reduce stress
Stress is the number one factor behind hair loss. De-stress by meditating, working out or practicing some deep breathing routines. Keep yourself happy and optimistic by surrounding yourself with people who uplift you. Take up a hobby or indulge in charity service. All these things go a long way in eliminating stress and make you beautiful from inside out.
If these remedies do not work you can always consult a cosmetologist or surgeon for transplant or invasive hair growth treatment.