Diabetes is a metabolic disease associated with high blood sugar (glucose) levels. It generally results from defects in insulin secretion which causes ‘sweet urine’ along with muscle loss. Elevated levels of blood sugar (hyperglycemia) can, overtime, lead to many diseases including damage to eyes, kidneys, nerves and heart. In this guide, we will study list of herbs to treat diabetes that are proven to help manage the symptoms of diabetes naturally.
12 Herbs to treat diabetes
- Bitter melon-Bitter melon contains a group of active compounds like momordicin and glycosides that are considered as some of the best natural herbs for diabetes. The lectin in bitter melon acts as insulin to lower blood glucose levels by working directly on peripheral tissues. Take at least 50 to 100 ml of bitter melon juice daily. Tincture of bitter melon is also readily available and you can take 1.3ml daily. In powdered form, you must take at least 1-2 grams daily as part of natural herbal diabetes treatment.
- Dandelion– Dandelion is one of the best herbs to treat diabetes. Apart from natural compounds that act as insulin, dandelion is also rich in vitamins A and C, carotene and flavonoids. Tests conducted on diabetic mice showed that dandelion helped regulate blood sugar. Take dandelion capsules daily after meal and you can also take it in the form of tincture, tea or its powdered roots, leaves and flowers. Take 4-10g of fresh dandelion leaves daily, or 1-2 teaspoon of its liquid extracts. To make dandelion tea for diabetes management, pour boiling water on dandelion leaves and steep for 10 minutes.
- French Lilac– French Lilac belongs to the Fabaceae family of herbs which has been used since the Middle Age as natural diabetes treatment. As a part of the list of herbs to treat diabetes, you can use French Lilac in the form of tincture, herbal infusion or teas. Drink herbal infusion of French Lilac two times a day.
- Turmeric– Turmeric consists of dried fresh rhizomes of the Curcuma family of plants. It contains curcumin as well as alpha and beta pinene, alpha- phellandrene, camphor, camphene, zingiberene, and alpha and beta curcumenes. All these compounds are known to have hypoglycemic and antioxidant activity. Powdered form of turmeric is one of the best natural supplements for diabetes. Experts recommend consuming 500-800mg of turmeric daily. You can add a teaspoon of turmeric to warm milk and drink it before bed time.
- Amla or Indian Gooseberry– The sour fruit of Indian gooseberry plant (Emblica officinalis), also called Amla, is rich in vitamin C and other anti-oxidants. It also contains phosphorus, iron and calcium and tests conducted on animals have shown anti-diabetic properties. Dosage of Amalaki best supplements for diabetes is one capsule daily. You can also buy Amla powder which is readily available commercially. Mix the powder in water, add some fresh lemon juice and drink the mixture daily.
- Fenugreek– Fenugreek has been proven to be one of the best natural diabetes treatments as it is rich in fiber which reduces blood sugar in Type II diabetes. The metabolic and molecular action of Fenugreek chelates trace metals which has been seen in experimental diabetic tissues. Fenugreek seeds have also shown postprandial (after meals) hypoglycemic action on blood sugar. You must eat at least 5-30 grams of leaves of fenugreek daily. Fenugreek seeds are also available in the form of powder. Try and consume three ½ ounce seeds daily.
- Ginseng– Ginseng is one of the best herbs to treat diabetes as it contains Ginsenosides , Panaxosides and Chikusetsusaponin all of which are known for their hypoglycemic effects. Dried root (0.5 to 9 gram daily) and tincture (0.2 to 3 one to three times a day) of Ginseng may be used as a part of your daily natural diabetes treatment.
- Cinnamon– Cinnamon consists of dried inner bark of Cinnamomum zeylanicum trees. It has been popular as one of the best supplements for diabetes treatment and management for type II diabetes mellitus and insulin resistance. The alcoholic extracts of Cinnamomum zeylanicum have proven to display anti-diabetic activities. It is mostly used in powdered form and you can take ½ teaspoon daily in your coffee as part of your herbal supplements for diabetes.
- Onion– This is a surprise entry in the list of herbs for diabetes. Onion belongs to the family of plants called lilaceae and it has been proven to contain allyl propyl disulphide that blocks the breakdown of insulin by the liver. Tests conducted on onions have shown that they lower the lipid levels and inhibit platelet aggregation. Therefore, liberal use of onions is recommended for diabetic patients. Raw and boiled onion extracts can also be consumed. Daily dosage recommended for diabetics is 125 mg per kg bodyweight.
- Garlic– Garlic is one of the important herbs that help diabetes. Garlic cloves are proven to dramatically lower blood sugar levels. Scientific studies conducted on garlic have shown that the presence of disulfides ( allyl propyl and diallyl sulfide) significantly lower blood sugar levels. They act directly on the pancreas and stimulate insulin to lower blood sugar levels in people with type 2 diabetes. Take 50ml of garlic extract daily for lowering blood sugar naturally.
- Blueberry-Blueberry is one of the top natural herbs for treating and managing diabetes. You can take blueberries in your smoothies, shakes and breakfast cereal and also include 3 cups day of its leaf extracts for managing diabetes naturally.
- Blackberry-Blackberry has many flavonoids and phenolic acid compounds that help in natural diabetes treatment. Consume 20mg/day of dried fruit powder of blackberry daily as part of your natural herbs for diabetes.
Step by step natural diabetes treatment
- Take one teaspoon each of cinnamon powder and turmeric powder.
- Soak fenugreek seeds overnight and eat them on empty stomach the next morning. Also drink the water used for soaking the seeds. This is one of the proven ways of lowering blood sugar levels.
- Take bitter melon/bitter gourd, deseed it and soak it on water for a couple of hours. Drink this preparation daily.
- Boil fifteen leaves of mango tree for an hour. Keep this water overnight, filter it and drink it daily in the morning on empty stomach. This is one of the best natural diabetes treatments.
- Eat small meals-avoid fried, junk food. Stay away from refined flour, sugary foods and alcohol.
- Increase your intake of fresh fruits and vegetables like cucumbers, spinach, papaya, sprouts etc.
- Eat 2-3 cloves of garlic daily.
- Keep stress levels low by meditating or doing Yoga, T’ai Chi etc.
This step by step natural diabetes treatment along with the 12 herbs for diabetes enlisted above can easily help you manage your blood glucose levels.