Gynecomastia or (man boobs/moobs) is a condition where a male has enlarged breast tissue along with fat deposits in the chest area. It can range from lumps under the breasts to larger-than-normal areolas or puffy nipples. Most teenagers outgrow this condition naturally once they reach adulthood and once their hormones normalize. However, some men retain their moobs and they could even range from an A to D size cups. Needless to say, this can be a very embarrassing condition for boys. In this guide, we will discuss some non surgical ways to reduce chest fat for male in a short period of time.
1. Drink apple cider vinegar
One of the best natural remedies to get rid of fat in the body is apple cider vinegar. Drink raw apple cider vinegar on empty stomach every morning and again before main meals. Always dilute the vinegar with water or juice. This will kick start sluggish metabolism, correct hormonal issues and get rid of fat from chest and other regions. Be diligent with this remedy to see results. You must also combine it with healthy diet to see results within a month.
2. Take evening primrose oil
Evening primrose oil is a herbal remedy that benefits women and men having hormonal issues. In women, the herb can help overcome breast soreness and PMS symptoms. For men, it can alleviate breast and nipple puffiness. However, one needs to take it over a period of several days to see results. Always consult a herbalist before taking this supplement.
3. Use turmeric
Many men have been able to get rid of their moobs without weights and by simply using this herbal remedy. All you need to do is drink warm water mixed with a couple of tablespoons of turmeric (up to 100 mg). Drink this mixture once or twice a day and especially prior to bedtime daily over six months. You need not even combine this remedy with gym workout as many have actually reduced moobs with turmeric alone. However, it is recommended that you follow a healthy diet to see best results in a month. You can either take turmeric pills or extracts or powder. Just make sure it is organic and of high quality.
4. Correct hormonal imbalance with iodine
Take iodine to balance and correct hormonal imbalances and keep gynecomastia from worsening. Naturally you must speak to a doctor before using this remedy especially for teenagers with hormonal imbalance.
5. Try supplements
Doctors also recommend certain supplements to prevent breast tissue from enlargement and formation of moobs. Teenagers must take vitamin B12, Vitamin D, a teaspoon of coconut oil daily, methionine, raw bovine multiglandular for males, and avena sativa herb. Please see a herbalist or a physician prior to taking these medicines. Also take Vitamin E (d-alpha tocopherol) containing a dosage of at least 400 IU to get rid of moobs for 13 year olds. It is important to combine vitamin E with selenium since the latter enhances its absorption.
6. Avoid alcohol
Alcohol has many ill effects and one of them is storage of fat in belly, chest and thigh region. In men, it is one of the many culprits of moobs or man boobs. So limit your intake. While this will not help you get rid of the moobs, it can certainly prevent the condition from worsening.
7. Do the bench press
Anyone who claims that you can get rid of moobs without weights is kidding. There is no way you can develop strength in your pectoral muscles without some heavy duty lifting. Below are the steps to do bench press, (which is one of the best chest toning exercises in the gym) with proper form:
- Lie comfortably on a bench under the weight bar.
- Place your thumbs around the bar and grab it with a firm grip.
- Straighten your arms and unrack the weight bar.
- Lower bar to mid chest, hold for a few seconds and press back up until your arms are straight.
- Hold at the top most position with arms straight and breathe fully and deeply. Bring down the bar upon the chest as you breathe out.
- Repeat the movement for the prescribed number of repetitions as directed by your training program.
The best part of using this exercise to tone the chest is that it also strengthens your shoulders, upper body and triceps.
8. Use dumbbell bench press
Dumbbell bench press is the enhanced version of the bench press described above. It helps tone pectoral muscles and is best recommended for people who have a hard time feeling their chest when doing bench press described above. Remember: how you press the dumbbells makes a lot of difference here. So work with a trainer to help you get the most out of this exercise.
- Lie down flat on a bench. Take one dumbbell in each hand.
- Start by placing the dumbbells at shoulder level with elbows bent. At this point, the dumbbells will be at the sides of your chest so that your arms form a right angle between the upper and forearm on both hands. This is your starting position. Take a deep breath in.
- Now breathe out, feel your chest and lift your arms to straighten the elbows so that the dumbbells are directly over your chest. Squeeze your pectoral muscles and hold this position for a few seconds.
- Exhale as you feel your chest and lower the dumbbells to starting position.
- Repeat the movement for the prescribed number of repetitions as directed your program or trainer.
9. Go for incline and decline dumbbell/bench press
Repeat the above two exercises on an inclined and declined table/bench each using a barbell or dumbbell. Make sure you inhale going up, squeeze the chest muscles and exhale as you bring the weight down. Ask your trainer for exact instructions. You can easily get rid of moobs in the gym using this workout. It is recommended you target the chest and upper body twice a week and pair this up with adequate cardio such as running or swimming to reduce overall body fat.
10. Do chest dips
You can easily set up a couple of bars at home to do chest dips. Chest dips are great exercise to eliminate chest fat and build strength in the pectoral muscles, upper body and arms. Set up parallel bars that sit slightly more than shoulder width distance. Place your palms on the bar and lift yourself up and dip back down using only the strength of your arms. Make sure the bars are high enough so you do not use your legs.
11. Wear compression garments
Compression garments may be worn to make the breast tissue less obvious to others. These are especially recommended if you are a teenager being teased or ridiculed for your man boobs. As stated above, moobs in teenagers reduce naturally once the hormone levels normalize.
As stated before, there are many causes for gynecomastia or man boobs. Decreasing overall body fat by taking up healthy diet and exercise regime helps in most cases. Once you lose overall fat, your chest will be toned too. If that does not happen, surgery may be the only option. Speak to a cosmetic surgeon for advice.