This fun fitness activities guide will give you practical and fun ideas that promote physical activity. These activities are fun for all age groups and may be done in alternative spaces like hallways, classroom or outdoors (as well as indoors when you do not have access to a gym or the weather outside is terrible.)
1. Discover the outdoors
If the weather is great, take the entire family out for a bike ride. This kind of fun fitness activity is great for bonding with kids. You can use a circuit around the lake or the beach or go in for tried and tested trails where there is no traffic. Adults can also sign up for themed rides and races, especially in summers or during holidays. Make sure all riders and non-riders wear a helmet.
2. Try out different activities
Cycling may not be everyone’s cup of tea. So you must try out different fitness activities for adults and kids before you can zero in on the one you love. For example, you can get in touch with the local fitness community, set up a touch football game or a running event and involve everyone in the community. You can also hike or walk with a group.
Skiing is one of the best fun fitness activities for adults and kids. Even if you do not live in a snowy area, you can take a vacation to the nearest skiing resort. Many resorts also offer package deals that include lessons. Start with lower speeds and slopes and progress on to the more treacherous ones. This is one of the best ways to get fit.
4. Outdoor ice skating
Another of the top fun fitness games for adults and children during the winter season is ice skating. These days, ice rinks are even present in cities during the warmer months. Take advantage of these to beat the heat and get fit in the process.
5. Fitness station ideas for children
Parents, teachers or coaches can use following fitness station ideas to set up fun fitness activities for middle school kids.
- Fitness station 1: Follow the leader (use slides, swings and outdoor play areas), skipping 10 times, over and under (pass the ball), freeze tag.
- Fitness station2: Mountain climbers (over and above the equipment), inclined pushups and pull ups on a bar, standing vertical jumps to stick a tape on the wall as high as the child can, obstacle courses, etc.
- Fitness circuits- Pushups, step ups, pull ups, beam walk, incline pushups, body hang, and stretching exercises.
- Toddler triathlon- To get toddlers involved, get them to wade in a small/baby pool, use a tricycle and ride back to the pool, then swim to the finish line.
6. Basic hopscotch
Another great activity for kids and adults, use a chalk to draw the basic hopscotch court on the pavement and get moving.
7. I spy
This is a fun fitness activity to play with kids indoors on a rainy day. You can say I spy something green-give the child a few minutes to spot it and go and touch it. You can make the kids hop, skip or gallop instead of run to find the object.
8. Snake in the grass
Use ropes or rubber strings as snakes to hide in the grass. When you yell ‘snakes in the grass’, the children need to find the snakes.
Tag is a wonderful fitness game to play with children of all ages. You can also vary this game by using shadow tag, laser tag, water tag etc.
10. Fly kites and balloons
This is one of the best activities to include in your list of fitness activities for windy days. You can fly the kite with your kids in a park or even have children chase balloons around the garden.
11. Use your child’s playground as portable gym
You can use the following fun fitness activities at your child’s play area where the child can play while you exercise as below:
- Race up and down the slide 5 times
- As a rest period, push your kid on the swing
- Do chin ups at the parallel bars
- Knock out a few pushups on the beam or the slide. If your little one is young and light, have him/her sit on your back while you do the pushups.
- Finish by jumping on the benches or racing around the playground or racing back home.
In order to get the entire family into these fitness activities, you must also integrate some fun and healthy food with them. For example, your child will love the tough bike races if s/he associates it with the delicious smoothies or healthy and tasty treats you serve up afterwards. Even during the holidays, make sure you prepare some delicious comfort food which is also healthy. This will help also you focus on what’s important – spending time with your loved ones in a healthy manner.