2017 is just round the corner and we are discussing some tips on how to eat better and be more active. Eating healthy foods and exercising regularly can help you maintain a healthy weight and also prevent many health issues. Start taking some steps today and do add the following pointers to your new year’s resolutions as well.
1. Eat more nutrient rich foods
Nutrient rich foods are rich in vitamins, minerals and dietary fiber. They nourish our bodies and give us everything we need to remain disease free and maintain a healthy weight. The best foods to eat more in 2017 are:
- Fruits, vegetables, oatmeal, brown rice, seafood, eggs, and poultry.
- If you want to eat dairy (which we recommend you try to limit because humans do not need dairy at all), go for lean or 2% milk, skim milk, low fat cheeses and plain low fat yogurt. Soy milk, cashew milk or almond milk is also a better alternative to dairy and these are even fortified with Vitamin D.
2. Eat less of junk foods
As part of your healthy new year’s resolutions, resolve to limit intake of sodas, fried foods, packaged goods, red meat, sugar, salty foods and refined grains. Avoid the following completely:
- Desserts and sugar laden foods
- White rice, breads, pastas refined grains
- Diet sodas and carbonated drinks
- Caffeinated beverages
- Foods with shortening
3. Keep a food journal
A food journal will help you keep a track of whether you are following your New Year resolution ideas. Try to maintain the journal for at least 2 days or talk to a buddy about everything you ate. Analyze which foods you really need and ones you did not. This quick and natural health tip will help you when making your healthy lifestyle plan for 2017.
4. Ask yourself these questions
Sometimes, we eat when we are stressed, bored or unhappy. At such a time, the following questions can help you make better choices:
- Am I really hungry or am I simply thirsty?
- What can I eat that is nutrient rich?
- Will drinking water help me feel better?
- Do I really want to eat or is it something else?
5. Learn to measure your food
Think about how much you eat at every meal. Think of your plate as a clock-the area between 12 and 3 may be filled with all of starch you can have (potatoes, rice etc). The region between 3 and 6 is the amount of lean meat you may have (chicken, fish etc) and nearly half the plate between 6 to 12 may be filled with vegetables.
6. Natural health tips for good eating
Here are some easy-to-implement and quick health tips that anyone can follow for living healthier in 2017:
- Use smaller plates
- Switch off the TV when eating-eat more mindfully. Chew slowly.
- Drink water before each meal. This will take off the edge off hunger.
- When eating out-share the entre with a friend.
- Stop when you are full.
7. Implement healthier habits and make wiser food choices
An important healthy eating tip for weight loss and better living in 2017 is to make wiser choices:
- Swap caffeine/alcohol or sugary beverages with water
- Eat fresh fruit or vegetables with a bean dip in place of chips, salted peanuts or other packed snacks.
- Choose bran muffin in place of donuts
- Try popcorn instead of peanuts.
- Have a soup and salad in place of a burger and fries.
- Eat the patty without the bun in the burger-you can wrap it up in lettuce instead of the buns.
- Try fruit instead of fruit juice.
8. Exercise at home
There are many ways to exercise at home without equipment.
- Do the chores-vacuum, clean the bathrooms, wash the windows. You will end up with a nicer looking home too!
- Gardening can burn hundreds of calories.
- Fill water bottles and use them as weights.
- Skip, jump, climb the stairs or put on some music and dance.
- Play with your kids
- Take the pet out for a longer walk each time.
- Do some stretches.
9. Avoid traps
Exercise with a friend. Avoid getting into the “exercise is too hard mindset”.
10. Be positive always
Keep your thoughts happy and positive at all times. Meditate or do some deep breathing exercises. If you feel negative or lazy, talk to a buddy. Write a journal to keep a track of daily activity. Lastly, keep a positive attitude always.