Teething is painful for babies and their parents. Teething symptoms usually start around 4 to 7 months of age. The infant cries frequently, her/his gums may be red and swollen accompanied by excess drooling as well. The child tends to get fussy and might experience problems sleeping at night. In this article, we will discuss important natural teething remedies and some of them can be used effectively at night if the baby is unable to sleep.
1. Take your baby’s mind off discomfort
Teething does not actually involve ‘cutting of the flesh’ unlike the common misconception. In reality, teething includes chemical changes that mainly occur when the baby’s immune system is changing. So teething symptoms like fever, wakefulness, infections and restlessness are a part of teething. If the child is unwell, it is best you get it examined by the pediatrician. However, the best thing you could do is take its mind off the discomfort. Play with the baby and give it lots of cuddles. This may not be easy to do at night when you are tired; so get help. A grandparent, spouse or a friend can take turns cuddling the baby so you can get rest.
2. Massage the baby’s gums
A clean finger is all you need to massage the baby’s gums. You can also use chilled spoons for gum massage. You can also buy and use teething gels which numb the pain and are safe for use in babies. Avoid excess use of gels containing benzocaine as these might be irritating to the baby’s sensitive gums. Baby Orajel Natural is a good teething remedy that is safe and effective for sensitive gums. Apply this up to 4 times a day.
3. Use teething rings and toys
You might notice your baby putting its entire fist in its mouth and sucking on it. This might be mistaken as a sign of hunger, but if the baby is crying even when nursing you could use baby teething toys and rings. Make sure you chill these toys first in the refrigerator. This helps numb the pain and irritation. Never freeze the toys as they can get damaged. Make sure you wash and disinfect the toys from time to time.
4. Breads and bagels- best teething remedies for toddlers
Old fashioned and all natural teething remedies for toddlers include hard foods like carrots, apples, bagels and breads. These can be given to the toddler to chew on to lessen irritation of the gums.
5. Towels as a teething remedy
One of the best toddler teething remedies is a clean white towel for the baby to chew on. Simply wash the towel first in antiseptic solution and dry it. Place it in the freezer for a few hours and give it to the child to chew. Buy 3-4 towels so you can give one to the baby while the other is in the freezer or laundry.
6. Ice cubes
Fresh food feeders are readily available and you can put ice cubes in them instead of food. This is an excellent teething remedy at night. You can also freeze breast milk and give it to baby to suck on.
7. Homeopathic teething remedies
Here are some of the best homeopathic remedies for teething babies and toddlers
- Apis Mellifica- this is obtained from bees. It can ease pain in swollen and red gums after the tooth has erupted.
- Kreosotum- This is one of the best remedies for teething if the erupted tooth is decayed.
- Pulsatilla- This teething homeopathic remedy can soothe anxious, irritated and clingy children.
- Camilia Teething remedy-This is a great homeopathic teething remedy for nighttime. These single dose vials are available readily in the market and can help with pain and inflammation. Boiron Camilia 2 daily doses and Humphrey’s 3 pellets before bed are the best teething remedies for babies at night.
8. Breastfeed the baby
Even if your baby has teeth, if it is latched correctly, it won’t bite you. So continue breastfeeding the child as it helps soothe teething pain. Use this remedy at night to calm fussy baby.
9. Pain reliever medication
If none of these teething remedies work, you can give the baby some Ibuprofen or Acetaminophen (Tylenol ) for teething pain. The former is better since its effects last longer. Talk to your doctor about the right pain relieving medicine for babies under 6 months old.
10. Not recommended
Avoid the so-called safe and natural teething remedies
- Many natural teething remedies containing Belladonna extracts are available in the market. Avoid giving these since the leaves and berries are completely toxic for the baby. FDA has actually recalled many of these products in the past few years.
- Amber bracelets and necklaces are used as teething remedies but they possess choking hazards.
- Avoid adding honey or jam to the teething rings or toys or even the baby bottle’ nipples. These do not help with pain and they could lead to teeth decay.
- Avoid adding medicines to the child’s food.
Use these 10 important and natural teething remedies to help calm fussy baby.