Catarrh is not a disease per se but it can be a nuisance. Most people use over-the counter medicine for catarrh such as nasal decongestants or cough medicines but these only lead to drowsiness and do nothing to cure the disease permanently. Thankfully there are many natural home remedies for getting rid of the mucus in throat and today we will be discussing those in detail.
1. Essential oils
Essential oils like peppermint and eucalyptus oil can give immediate relief for catarrh in the nose. Apply a few drops of these oils on a handkerchief and inhale it from time to time. You can also add a few drops to a steamer and inhale the fragrant vapors of these oils. This will give immediate relief from nasal congestion and is one of the best remedies for catarrh in throat and ear. For catarrh in the ear, add a bit of diluted Tea Tree oil in the ears to draw out the mucus and give lasting relief from pain.
2. Salt water
Another highly effective home remedy for catarrh is drawing warm salt water through one nostril and releasing it out the other. You can use a neti pot for this purpose or squeeze the salt water from a cotton wool into the nostril.
3. Hot foot baths
This might seem like an unlikely remedy for catarrh but it works. Soak the feet in a warm foot bath to which you have added a few drops of Rosemary oil or lemon juice. Make sure you keep your feet warm when suffering from coughs and colds.
Many homeopathic remedies can be used for treating catarrh in babies. Administer 5 drops of Arsenicum Album 10x potency at hourly intervals. You can also purchase nasal balm for applying to baby’s gentle skin around the nostrils to relieve congestion.
5. Apple cider vinegar
To use apple cider vinegar for catarrh, take 1 tablespoon of organic raw and unfiltered variety in a glass of water every day. This will restore ph and provide the body with immune strengthening properties.
6. Vitamin C
People who suffer from chronic colds and catarrh can benefit from daily supplementation of Vitamin C. Start with a dose of 1000 mg of Vitamin C daily. You can slowly increase this quantity to up to 2000 mg. Also eat vitamin C rich foods like lemons, oranges etc.
7. Herbs for catarrh
As a part of your catarrh diet, include following herbs which strengthen immunity and throw out mucus:
- Turmeric- Turmeric is anti-inflammatory and antiseptic. Drink a glass of warm milk mixed with a teaspoon of organic turmeric powder and some honey. This will relieve chest congestion and sore throats and also prevent coughs and catarrh in throat.
- Ginger- This warm herb is an expectorant and soothes inflamed airways and nasal and throat passages. Drink 2-3 cups of ginger tea made by steeping grated ginger root in a cup of hot water for up to 10 minutes. You can also add some lemon juice and honey to this tea.
- Garlic- Garlic is an anti-inflammatory and warm herb that strengthens immunity and fights mucus. Add plenty of garlic to your chicken soup and use this home remedy for mucus in throat.
- Echinacea and Goldenseal- Both these herbs fight infection and prevent mucus formation. You can buy pills for both these remedies.
8. Catarrh diet
The best foods for catarrh are hot liquids like soups, broths and stews with veggies and lean meat cuts. Avoid too much of dairy, gluten and bananas as these are mucus forming foods. Limit your sugar intake as it reduces your immunity by nearly 50% for up to 4 hours after consumption.
Get adequate sleep and avoid strenuous exercise. You can go for a short walk or do some yoga stretches at home but avoid anything more strenuous than that.
10. Increase your water intake
Water is the best natural remedy to flush out the mucus and toxins from the body. Drink plenty of water throughout the day. You can add some honey and lemon juice or grated ginger to water. Apple cider vinegar and cayenne pepper can also be added to water to flush out the mucus from throat and relieve soreness and coughs.
Try these 10 easy remedies for catarrh in the ear and throat for quick relief.