ADD or ADHD (Attention Deficit Disorder and/or Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder) is known to affect nearly 3-6% of the world’s population. Adults suffering from such neurological disorders are more likely to have lower socioeconomic status alongside relationship issues and depression. Symptoms of ADD include: getting distracted easily, making careless mistakes at work, having difficulty focusing on tasks, losing items frequently, not listening when spoken to etc. Today we will study some natural remedies for focus and concentration for ADD sufferers. Also read our article on natural remedies for ADHD in children.
Iodine is often lacking in adults and kids with ADD or ADHD. You can read studies about the link between iodine and ADHD here. Take iodine supplements but note that the recommended daily value of Iodine should not exceed 150 mcg. Iodized salt (or iodine rich sea salt) is one of the best sources of iodine. One can also eat plenty of seafood, wild caught salmon and seaweed to prevent iodine deficiency.
2. Discipline and counseling
Discipline and counseling therapy are both necessary for preventing symptoms of ADD in adulthood. One can take up sports and regular exercise to discipline body and mind.
3. Meditation and yoga
Mind body practices like mindfulness meditation and yoga can help improve focus and concentration. There are many online free videos for mindfulness meditation and yoga to help wit memory, attention and focus issues. Other exercises/practices like karate, martial arts, Tai Chi etc are also known to give ADD sufferers more energy through the day while stimulating dopamine levels that are usually low in ADD brains.
4. Melatonin to sleep better
Good sleep hygiene is very important for ADD and ADHD patients. If needed, get help for sleep apnea. Often, conventional medicines for ADD keep patients up all night. If this is the case, talk to your doctor to change the medicine. Taking up to 5 mg of Melatonin can also help ADD sufferers sleep better and improve focus and concentration during the daytime.
5. Dietary changes
Diet plays a huge role in ADD and ADHD symptoms as food allergies and intolerances can all affect focus and concentration. The key is to avoid foods with empty calories like pizzas, cookies, cakes, ice creams etc. These foods hardly give any vitamins or proteins and are usually full of sugar. Avoid trans fats, sodium and caffeinated drinks. Consider buying organic produce to minimize toxins and chemicals.
6. Magnesium deficiency
Often, low magnesium levels are related to ADD. You can get this mineral naturally through green leafy vegetables. Magnesium levels need to be balanced with calcium levels. So if you are eating dairy rich foods but not enough green leafy veggies, then there may be an imbalance in the two. The best natural sources of magnesium are vegetables cooked minimally over low heat. Overcooking vegetables until their color is drained indicates a loss of important minerals including magnesium.
7. Omega 3 supplements
As far as vitamins for ADD go, you must take fish oil supplements. These can provide you with your Omega 3 essential fatty acids, especially DHA. DHA stands for Docosahexaeonic acid and nearly 60% of our brain is composed of DHA. A deficiency in this important essential fatty acid could be one of the factors behind ADD.
8. Essential oils for ADD and ADHD
Essential oils may not cure ADD symptoms but they can help improve focus and concentration. Basil, Ylang-ylang, Melissa, Clary sage, Vetiver, Lavender, Patchouli, Frankincense and Helichrysum are some of the best essential oils for ADD and ADHD. You can use these as bath oils, diffuse them in your room or even use them for massage.
9. Herbs for ADHD
There are many herbs for ADD and ADHD symptoms but you must take them only under the supervision of a herbalist:
- California poppy-This herb is effective for helping one fall asleep and also for calming an overactive brain. It soothes and balances hyperactive nervous system in kids and adults.
- Catnip-This herb balances mood swings and hysteria. It also eases stress, anxiety and restlessness.
- Gingko– Gingko is the most effective of all natural ADHD supplements as it promotes focus, memory, retention and concentration.
- Grapeseed extract– Grapeseed extract contains bioflavonoids and antioxidants that strengthen brain capillaries, improve brain blood flow and also protect the brain from environmental toxins.
- Hops– Calms and improves mood. Also aids in digestion.
- Kava Kava– This is one of the most effective natural ADHD supplements that improves mood, reduces tension and helps cure insomnia.
- John’s Wort– This is the herb of choice for ADHD in children and adults. It calms nervous system without any side effects.
10. Homeopathic remedies for ADD
Many homeopathic remedies for ADD in adults and children have shown great results:
- Argentum nitricum– for people who are impulsive, always in a hurry to finish tasks, or are unwilling to try out new things or take up new projects.
- Belladonna-For people with nervous anxiety, slow, learning disability etc
- Baryta Carbonica-For kids and adults with weak memory, lack of self confidence, fear of making mistakes and major learning disabilities.
You can read many Homeopathy for ADHD success stories here.