To a small extent, some amount of white discharge from the vagina is common in women in the child bearing age. However, in excess, it can cause problems as it indicates serious underlying health issues. Many factors can lead to white discharge such as bacterial vaginosis, leucorrhea which occurs during pregnancy, as well as menopause related hormonal imbalance. Let us study some remedies to stop discharge every day.
1. Make dietary changes
Improper diet is one of the most important reasons of white discharge in females. If your diet is ful of sugary, processed foods, then it is time for a change. Cut all sugar, dairy and refined flour from the diet. Eat wholesome natural foods close to their natural state as possible-mainly organic fruits and vegetables, especially leafy greens. Eliminate sugary beverages, sodas and caffeinated drinks. Limit intake of alcohol. If you consume meat, make sure you choose organic varieties without added hormones. Avoid consuming hot, spicy and acidic food.
2. Take probiotic supplements
Probiotic foods are the best home remedies for white discharge and odor. They help fight bacterial vaginosis which is a common cause of white discharge every day. So eat fresh yogurt with live cultures, kefir, miso, sauerkraut and other fermented foods. You can also take probiotic supplements. These days, there are special probiotic drinks made especially for women.
3. Use Crajiru or Arrabidea chica douches
This is a traditional folk remedy used by Amazonian natives to douche the vagina. It is available online. Simply add 5-10 drops of the extract to a liter of water. Store the mixture in the refrigerator until cool. Then douche the vagina with it. This remedy can get rid of discharge at home but do speak to your doctor or an herbalist before use.
4. Use Apple cider vinegar
Douching with diluted organic apple cider vinegar is also an effective medicine for white discharge and itching. Mix together distilled water and organic apple cider vinegar in equal quantities. Use it to douche the vagina. Also drink 2 tbsp of organic apple cider vinegar in 4 oz of fresh water once or twice a day. Make sure you follow a hormone/chemical free diet when using this remedy.
5. Wear cotton undergarments
Avoid wearing nylon or synthetic undergarments. It is best to sleep without underwear to allow the area to remain dry. Wash your vagina daily with a ph balanced intimate hygiene wash. Avoid skinny jeans and Lycra leggings. Do not use harsh soaps/perfumes down there.
6. Follow hygiene after bowel movement
Avoid wiping back to front after a bowel movement. Always wipe front to back. Urinate after sexual intercourse to eliminate bacteria. As far as possible avoid intercourse until the infection is cured.
7. Homeopathic remedies for white discharge
Following homeopathic remedies can help treat white discharge. Always consult a homeopath before taking them:
- Calcarea Phos-This remedy is for cream like white discharge accompanied by pain in bladder and uterus.
- Calcarea Carbonicum– This is for yellow thick discharge with profuse burning and itching.
- Kali mur– For non irritating milky white mucus.
8. Ayurvedic home remedies for white discharge
In Indian traditional medicine, white discharge is treated in a number of ways:
- Dried gooseberry powder/Amla powder– Eat 3 grams of amla powder per day (mixed with some water or juice). You can also drink Amla juice mixed with organic honey. This remedy is beneficial for reducing white discharge and also for strengthening hair, preventing hair fall and stopping premature grey hair.
- Dried rose petals– Crush dried rose petals and grind them into a fine powder. Mix them with a glass of warm cow milk. (You can use non dairy alternatives like soy or almond milk as well.)
- Eat two bananas with clarified butter or ghee daily to cure white discharge.
- Boil neem leaves for 10-15 minutes. Use the water to wash the vagina and stop odor and itching.
- Apply sandalwood oil to curb itchiness and burning pain in vagina.
- Bishop’s weed– Also called ajwain- it is a powerful home remedy for white discharge. Boil the seeds in water and use the solution to douche the vagina.
- Pound the rind of amaranth roots in water in a mortar. Use strained liquid to douche.
- Apply fresh yogurt to vagina. This remedy is effective against candida or thrush that causes white discharge.
- Douche with yarrow leaves, lady’s mantle leaves and comfrey leaves boiled in water.
9. Apply cocoa butter
Use this remedy to curb itching. You can also douche with vitamin E added to bath water.
10. Refrain from sexual intercourse
According to Traditional Chinese Herbalists, constant thoughts about sex or watching pornography can also result in white discharge in women. Avoid over indulgence in sex. Practicing mind body practices can help curb such thoughts.
Check out our remedies for vaginal thrush and itching in this article.