Wisdom tooth pain can cause so much discomfort that it can get extremely difficult to eat, sleep or even to talk. Visit your dentist and he/she will likely tell you to have the tooth removed. However, surgical extraction is not always necessary when it comes to managing wisdom tooth pain symptoms. Wisdom teeth were given to us for a reason-they enhance the chewing action and also give a structure to the face. Naturally, if the wisdom tooth growing pain is causing intense discomfort or is pressing on a nerve or another tooth, then you may have no other option but to get it extracted. In the mean time, use the following home remedies for wisdom tooth pain to reduce its duration and get immediate relief:
1. Oil pulling
This is the best remedy for wisdom tooth pain and it can even be safely used during pregnancy. Many a tooth ache sufferer has avoided dental extraction surgery with this natural remedy. Here are the steps for oil pulling:
- You can use any one of the following oils for this remedy: coconut, sesame or olive. Choose organic, cold pressed or extra virgin oils as far as possible.
- Take about 2 teaspoons of the oil. Warm it up gently and test the temperature.
- Now take the oil in your mouth and swish around the teeth. You need to swish for at least 20-25 minutes.
- Repeat this several times a day to get immediate relief from wisdom tooth pain symptoms.
2. Essential oil and baking soda
This is a great home remedy for instant relief from wisdom tooth pain. You need the following ingredients:
- ¼ cup baking soda
- 20 drops each essential oils of Peppermint and Tea Tree
Mix all ingredients well. Take a little amount of the powder on your toothbrush and apply it on the aching tooth. Leave it on for 15 minutes. Rinse off. You can also use this powder to brush all the teeth and keep them healthy. If you do not have essential oils, use plain baking soda to gargle several times a day.
Garlic is a fast acting home remedy for wisdom tooth pain. It is simple and inexpensive and can save you a trip to the dentist’s office. Here are some ways in which you can use the garlic remedy for wisdom tooth ache symptoms:
- Place the peeled clove of garlic against the hurting tooth. You can coat the garlic with some olive oil to prevent the acrid, bitter taste from stinging your gums. Leave the garlic clove for at least 15 minutes against the wisdom tooth. You will get instant relief. Repeat this remedy as often as needed.
- Sauté the minced garlic in olive oil for a few seconds until lightly brown. Cool the oil and garlic and apply the mixture to the hurting tooth. Even pregnant women can safely use this all natural ‘teeth pain medicine’.
- You can also apply crushed and minced, raw garlic to the aching tooth. The allicin in garlic is a natural analgesic and antiseptic. It fights dental infection and gives instant relief from pain.
- You can also apply garlic oil or garlic powder to the hurting tooth but natural, raw and fresh garlic is most effective.
Also ingest plenty of garlic for its anti-inflammatory effects.
4. Cloves and clove oil
For instant relief from wisdom tooth pain in jaw, place a clove or apply clove oil to the gums and tooth. Clove oil numbs up the gums and provides instant relief from pain. It also has an antibacterial action which can benefit other teeth. Use clove or clove oil regularly to freshen up breath. You can also add a few drops of clove oil to warm water and use this natural ‘mouthwash’ to keep gums and teeth healthy. Chewing cloves can also give relief from dental swelling. Another great remedy is to powder up some cloves and mix them up with olive oil. Apply the mixture on the aching teeth for instant relief from pain. Children who have trouble sleeping due to wisdom tooth pain symptoms can get much needed relief with this natural remedy.
5. Apple cider vinegar
Add 2 tablespoons of organic, raw and unpasteurized apple cider vinegar to a glass of warm water. Use this solution to rinse the mouth. Gargle several times a day with this mixture for quick relief from pain. Also take this remedy internally to fight inflammation.
6. Vanilla or almond extract
Add a few drops of vanilla or almond extract on a cotton ball and apply it to the aching tooth for relief from severe tooth pain.
7. 3% food grade Hydrogen Peroxide
Use 3% food grade hydrogen peroxide and swish it around the mouth to get instant relief from tooth ache. You can use it to gargle the mouth or simply spray it on the hurting tooth from time to time as often as needed.
8. Activated charcoal
Make a paste of pills of activated charcoal in water and apply it to the hurting tooth. Activated charcoal pulls out toxins and reduces swelling. It can also give relief from wisdom tooth pain that has spread to the jaw. Here is another fantastic reedy for wisdom tooth pain symptoms that radiate to the temple and jaws:
- 3 tbsp activated charcoal powder
- 1-2 drops of olive oil
- 2-3 drops of clove oil
- 1/3 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp goldenseal
Mix all the ingredients and take a bit on a gauze. Apply it on the aching tooth and chew it down. This remedy generates heat which gives instant relief from pain much better than any store brought wisdom tooth pain relief tablets.
9. Green tea
Boil water and add a green tea bag. Sip on the tea and also swish around the hot mixture around the teeth for 20-30 seconds. Also chew on the brewed tea bag for pain relief. This remedy is very effective when you do not have any teeth pain medicine at home.
10. Drink tons of water
Dehydration worsens symptoms of tooth pain so make sure you drink several glasses of water throughout the day. This is essential to reduce duration of wisdom tooth pain.
How long does wisdom tooth growing pain last depends on the exact condition of the tooth in question. However, in many cases, the pain goes away after a few days and in the meantime, you can use these home remedies to get much needed relief.